Hello, everyone. My name is Maggie Heiskell, and I am the Boundless summer intern! I am from Atlanta, Ga., which is about 22 hours away from Colorado Springs. This fall I’ll be a senior at Berry College; my major is Communications and Public Relations. I have lived in the South my whole life, so moving west is a completely new experience for me, but one that I have always wanted.
My mom and dad met out West, even though they were both raised in Georgia. Ever since I was little, my mom praised the West (specifically Montana), raving about its beauty and the experiences she had there. Moving west for a summer during college is something I had always dreamed of, so during winter break of 2020 I began searching for internships.
After being rather unsuccessful in my search, I remembered that Focus on the Family was based in Colorado Springs (thank you, Adventures in Odyssey!). I checked to see if they had any available internships, and voila! — they had several. I applied to the Boundless internship because I have experience managing social media accounts for businesses and wanted to use the experience and training I had received to serve the Lord and equip young adults to become more like Christ.
By the grace of God, I got the internship a few days after my interview, and packed up my stuff and drove across the country about a week ago. Living so far away from home and everything that is familiar has been difficult, but everyone at Focus on the Family has been so welcoming, and it is truly a delight and a privilege to be here. Focus on the Family stands firm on so many biblical principles in the face of opposition, and I am honored to be a part of a company that advocates boldly for the gospel. I cannot wait to help create content that will point to Christ and equip people to make godly decisions.
But for now, here are some things about me:
- The most important thing you should know about me is that I love the Lord. I began a relationship with Him at a young age and am insanely grateful that He has given me grace in exchange for my brokenness and forgives me when I fail time and time again.
- I love intentional conversations, especially those that happen when holding a warm cup of coffee or hiking in the woods
- In my free time, I love hanging out with my friends, painting, reading, or playing the guitar (and by playing, I mean practicing — I am very slowly learning)
- I am the oldest of five and have four younger brothers. They are loud and funny and chaotic, and I love them very much.
- For all you Enneagram folks, I’m a 1 wing 9 — which basically means I really like planning and order, and decisions scare me. But I also love to have fun and be spontaneous with friends!
- I absolutely love being outside. Hiking, throwing the frisbee, playing soccer, etc. are all things I enjoy doing.
- Mountains are some of my favorite things. Moving to Colorado Springs has been the best ever because I can pretty much see mountains 24/7.
I cannot wait to get to know you all this summer and grow together! I will strive to be as authentic and honest as I can, and I will pray that the Lord will use any words I write, podcasts I participate in, and posts I design to point others back to Him. Thank you for joining me in this journey!
Copyright 2021 Focus on the Family. All rights reserved.